What is an Evaporative Cooler
Evaporative cooling is one of the most efficient ways to cool your home and in the dry, hot Canberra climate it is one of the most effective.
The feel of an evaporative cooler is often compared to a coastal breeze, we always feel cooler by the water when there is a breeze and that’s what an evaporative cooler brings to your home.
The great part about evaporative cooling is it operates with your home open, so you don’t have to feel locked away on a hot summers day.
Evaporative coolers start the process from outside the house, the unit sits on the roof and draws air in through wet cooler pads, cooling the air the same way the air blows in from a coastal breeze. The cool air is then distributed throughout your home via duct.
How to choose an Evaporative Cooler for your home
If you’re looking for a new evaporative cooler there are a few things to consider, depending on if you are replacing an existing system or installing a new one.
- I have an existing evaporative cooler:
- What is the existing brand and model (send us a picture if you can)?
- What is the condition of your duct?
- Is your home single-storey or two-storey?
- I don’t have an existing evaporative cooler:
- A floor plan of your home: how many levels are there? What are sizes of the rooms (including ceiling height)?
- The ceiling cavity space – we can determine this when we complete a site inspection
- Access to water supply
- Electrical switchboard
Ready for a quote? It's easy!
Send us your floor plan and address, it's all we need to quote!Request a quote
What features do I want?
- Warranty: Warranties vary across brands, it’s important to have your product services regularly to maintain your warranty. The details of each brands warranty will be detailed on your quote!
- Controls: All Brivis and Bonaire systems we install come with a user friendly controller. The great thing about evaporative coolers is they cool pretty much instantly so no need to set timers!
- Wifi control: Our range of Bonaire and Brivis evaporative coolers have an option to add a Wifi module, ask about it when requesting a quote!
- Duct: All Evaporative coolers come with R1.0 duct!
Running costs & Efficiency
Evaporative cooling has the cheapest running costs of any whole-of-home cooling solution. The coolers use minimal electricity and recirculate water until it’s no longer clean enough to use. You can find out more on running costs from the sustainability Victoria website here.
How do I keep my evaporative cooler clean?
Climate Master have a dedicated service department with factory trained service technicians – so we can maintain your evaporative cooler for you. Generally, we recommend your cooler be serviced every year to ensure the air coming into your home is cool and clean all summer.
Evaporative cooling systems installation for your home
Evaporative cooling is one of the most energy-efficient ways to cool your home. And in the dry heat of the Canberra climate, it’s also one of the most effective. Evaporative coolers start the cooling process from outside the house; the unit sits on the roof and draws air in through wet cooler pads, cooling the air and then distributing it throughout your home via ducts. The effect is akin to a coastal breeze — and the great part is that it can still cool your home while you have doors and windows open, so you don’t have to feel locked away on a hot summer’s day.
How to choose an evaporative cooler for your home
Considering an evaporative cooling systems installation? Whether you’re replacing an existing one or installing an entirely new one, there are a number of points of consideration. These factors can all influence the evaporative cooling systems installation cost.
If you have an existing evaporative cooler:
- Are you satisfied with your existing brand and model? Even if you are, it might still be worth discussing more recent options with the team at Climate Master. Evaporative cooler technology is constantly improving, so if a newer model can achieve greater cooling performance and energy efficiency for your home, it may be time to upgrade.
- Ducting can sometimes be reused when a new system is installed; however, if it’s in bad condition then it will likely need to be replaced.
If you don’t have an existing evaporative cooler:
- Multi-storey homes can still utilise evaporative coolers, but they may require a larger system or even multiple systems to be installed.
- The material your home is constructed from and the type of roof you have can influence the ease with which a ducting system can be installed. This is due to the space or lack of space which results from using certain materials or construction techniques.
All of these points can be discussed in more detail with one of the team members at Climate Master. We’ll be more than happy to inspect your home and give you an idea of what may be required in order to install the appropriate system.
What features should I look for in an evaporative cooler?
- Warranty — This varies across brands, so it’s important to have your product serviced regularly to maintain your warranty. The details of each brand’s warranty will be detailed on your quote from us.
- Controls — All Brivis and Bonaire systems we install come with a user-friendly controller. Unlike other types of air cooling systems, they don’t feature a timer — this is because evaporative coolers begin working almost instantly, so it’s not necessary in the same way as it can be with a conventional air conditioner.
- Wi-Fi Control — Our range of Bonaire and Brivis evaporative coolers have an option to add a Wi-Fi module.
- Duct — All of our evaporative coolers are installed with an R1.0 duct.
Running costs and efficiency
After the initial evaporative cooling systems installation cost, it actually has the cheapest running costs of any whole-of-home cooling solution. The coolers use minimal electricity and the water required for cooling is simply recirculated until it’s no longer clean enough to use, so it’s more cost-effective in the long run.
How do I keep my evaporative cooler clean?
Generally, we recommend your cooler be serviced every year to ensure the air coming into your home is cool and clean all summer. Climate Master has a dedicated service department with factory-trained service technicians – so we can maintain your evaporative cooler for you.
Evaporative cooling systems installation from Canberra locals
Established in Canberra for more than 25 years, Climate Master has the perfect blend of local knowledge and product expertise for your home. Find out about the evaporative cooling systems installation cost in Canberra today and get your home feeling cooler, sooner. Get in touch today!